week 5+6

Printmaking.
I have made a new plate this week using a hard ground instead of soft (which I used for my first plate). There are differences in the appearance of the prints with the the grounds, using a hard ground creates a very defined line, and there are some differences in the application for instance with hard ground you have to smoke the plate and, unlike soft ground, you draw strait onto the plate with a sharp tool. In both the smoking and drawing stages I managed to accidentally scratch the surface of the plate which I was annoyed about as this means extra marks are bitten. With the imprecise, childlike style of drawing I used for this print the marks do not stand out as a major imperfection.
I have also developed one of my prints onto fabric by adding disperse dyes to add colour mixing in my textile practice with my printing.


Textiles.
for the next couple of weeks we are working  with textile artist Carole Walker who works with print, we have used disperse dyes and learnt about the possibility with different materials, one sample piece I particularly like was where I put plastic circles in between the painted paper and the fabric. The reason why I liked this piece is because some of the circles took the dye and bonded to the fabric but others circles did not stick to the fabric leaving resist spots.
expressive drawing with Carol Walker


There is a lot of potential here to do different experiments using plastics and perhaps other materials such as metal.
We are also doing screen printing next week so have been given a screen and been told to prepare an image to be put onto a screen. It has to be either on acetate or tracing paper, because the image is put onto the screen by light sensitive coating.

Ceramics
For these 2 weeks we are having a go at throwing and sculpting. We started by having pre- thrown pots which we could add a texture to (these are now ready to be bisque fired) and throwing our own pots which we have left in the damp cupboard ready for sculpting on Friday. I have only ever had 1 days tester session in throwing so found this technique quite challenging. There is lots of steps and possibility for mistakes when throwing, the first thing you must do when you start is make sure there is no air in the clay and get the correct amount- roughly hand size. then you must center the clay before pressing your thumbs into the middle and keeping a even pressure build up the sides.

Comments