Week 7

Textiles- We have been continuing to work with artist Carol Waller learning about screen printing and mixing the dyes and pigments that you can use.
firstly we cleaned the previous image off of our screens ready to put on own own image but before we did this we experimented with printing with a blank screen and using paper stencils to create blocked out areas.
This is a test piece I created using a blank screen and blending different colour pigments.  There is three definite sections to the print I used the same colours in each section but different effects are made where the pigments have mixed together.



In my own time I when back to the studio to do some more prints however I didn't print onto the squishy surface meaning the print didn't come out smooth instead it has lots of cracks. I really like this piece particularly but at the moment I am unsure if or how I should develop it or whether I should leave it as a stand alone piece.







We put our own image onto the screen using a light sensitive emulation and our prepared images on tarcing paper. the screen was put onto a light box and where the light could penetrate the emulsion went hard the other areas- where the image blocked the light the emulsion stayed soft and could later be washed away.
I have printed onto a range of fabric and made paper with pigment and now need to work out how I should develop them perhaps with stitch or beading.










Print-  I have created another plate of a parrot in flight to fit in with my theme of a journey to the rainforest. I used soft ground again as I feel this technique fits with my style of drawing rather than the hard ground.

When getting the plate out of the acid I unfortunately marked the surface of the plate with the rubber gloves creating this mark at the top of the plate which I will have to learn from.






3D-
Ceramics- the pots we throw previously have dried slightly so are suitable to sculpt and bisque fire, and glaze. we have used stoneware clay which can be fires at higher temperatures therefore we have been able to use a reduction glaze which is done in a gas oven. The pots have got the glaze on the inside and round the rim however on the outside i have used oxides- copper and magnesium mixed with water. The oxides are then painted onto the pots and when taken off with a sponge when dry so that the colour will be in the grooves( shown in picture). I am really looking forward to seeing how these pieces will look when fired.














Casting- We have started a different project focusing on consumerism and the throw away society we live in using packaging to create plaster and concrete casts. I made a range of casts using coloured dyes, my favorite piece which I have made uses the inside of a bubble wrap envelope, I love the texture created and have made more bubble wrap casts which are currently drying in the hope I can make a series and display them.

Comments