Week 10

This week and over he Christmas break I have been getting ready for our formative assessment which is due in Monday.

Textiles.
This is the section of the course which I have found the most challenging, which I did not expect because I have always enjoyed textiles but in this particular project- looking more at objects rather than the conceptual ideas, I did not get fully into the brief until late on.
Although not getting into the brief until quite late on I have made a few out comes which overall I am happy with.

This is one of my pieces I created using some of my screen prints, I intended to stitch imagery into the prints but on further reflection I realized that I liked the simplicity and the continuity of the prints. Therefore I decided to sew circles onto the prints using both hand and machine embroidery in the contrasting colour I used for each pair.
Throughout this term the idea that 'the simplest of artworks can often have the most impact on the viewer' has really interested me and has impacted my practice.















To this  have made many samples and tried out a range of techniques that I am really pleased with including knitting with wire which I would like to experiment more with in the next project and perhaps making into more of a sculpture.



Print
this has been my favorite part of the corse so far as I love the technique of etching and how it is another way to manipulate my drawings. I have quite a naive, expressive style of drawing and ones the plate has been made there is a host of experiments to try with it which is exciting I have particularly enjoyed printing onto fabric and also using acrylic ink, This week I have tried drawing in ink a parrot and printing on top the same at I did before Christmas but this time managed to line up the image and the drawing better but still not perfect which I think creates character, and makes the process of drawing and then printing clear this image I am pleased with.

Also this week I have made another (but much smaller plate) illustrating a line of ants I think there is many more experiments I can try with this plate including repeating and creating backgrounds.

Next term we are moving onto silk screen printing which I think will be interesting as it is different from the screen  print we have done in textiles. I will continue to use these rain forest images as I am finding this an interesting topic.








3D-
I am learning so much in 3D as I have never used any of the processes I have used this term and the idea of creating an image wrap around a object rather than a flat object is completely new to me. over the Christmas break I took home some pots which I through.
This pot I through with earthenware clay and then dipped it in a blue slip so that the bottom is a different colour then I carved into it using quite a simple linear design based on my drawings of butterfly wings. I am really excited to see how this pot will look once its been fired.


This pot i carved with more butterfly images, and have put a yellow slip on after, I'm not to sure how this will look once it has been fired but I am hoping it will show the carved lines.

The Egyptian paste technique I tried did not come out very well as the ceramics did not stick together show here





However the bricks I dipped into glaze and white wash came out well,  I am especially pleased with how the glaze dripped down one of the bricks and would like to do more experiments with bricks and perhaps carving into them next term.

.

Comments