ceramics workshops

last week we had different workshops taking place across the school which we could sign up to. I went to both the ceramics days which taught me different ways to work with clay.
one of the exisises that we did was to roll a slab of clay and use it much like a sheet of paper to draw on. We did quick timed sketches of faces, I really enjoyed working into the clay as at this stage the clay is really soft and forgiving to work with as lines can be smoothed over.










After drawing we added lengths of terracotta clay to highlight areas of the drawing. I loved working in this illustrative way. In our ceramics project at the moment I have chosen to look at refuges and migration and I would like to use this way of drawing into the clay to develop ideas.



Another experiment I tried was getting a slab of clay and simply rolling dry pasta into it which created these repeat lines which reminds me of tide marks on a beach. I added terracotta clay to the deepest lines. The main problem with using terracotta is that its so messy as the colour spreads so I tried making another piece and have let it dried before adding the terracotta, I will be interested in comparing these two pieces once they have fired so I can see the best way of  adding clay.
I have also rolled a different type pasta into clay and have used under glaze to highlight areas which look a bit like mountains and will be interested in drawing on the once they have been bisque fired or adding a decal- which is a digital transfer you can put onto ceramics.
My favorite experiment I tried was to mix different clays and put them through the slab roller to create this marbled effect. I used a stoneware clay, a terracotta and porcine and in one piece I added under glaze which spread and got dragged through the roller. I didn't quite know how it would fire because of the different clays, there is one crack but overall I am pleased with the effect.


I love the painting quality this piece has, I am unsure how I will take this process forward- perhaps I will draw into a slab and put it through the slab roller to distort it. Also I will try playing with clay of different textures- grog.
I will also have to test out if I can and how to glaze this piece as I think using a transparent glaze will highlight the different colours of the clays but the firing temperatures of the different clays differ. .


Comments