New Projects


textiles- our next project in textiles is based on the theme of amulets. We started by visiting the Pitt rivers museum in Oxford were I produced a lot of drawings which I am now thinking about turning the drawings into print so I can layer these.

In classes we are focusing on construction- knitting and weave, the photo to the right is a sample of weaving, I wanted to create quite a loose rustic fabric as I commonly create bright colorful work and I was thinking if I were to print over the top it would create a contrasting effect. I am unsure how this project will continue but I have made some ceramic beads which I am waiting to be bisque fired and will then decorate with under glaze and hopefully be able to incorporate into weaving.




Print- In our print class we have moved over to work with screen print, we briefly did screen print in textiles so my first image was quite complicated with 5 layers. Printing with silk screen is different, although the same process as screen print in textiles, because we used a printing bed which makes it easier to line up the image for layering. I like the layering of imagery personally I like the effect where the layers do not quite line up as I think it shows the process of printing and differs it from a drawing or a photo shopped image. Next I would like to draw onto the screen with block out ink to achieve a more hand drawn effect.


Despite moving onto a different process in print I have continued to experiment with etching as I love the process.
I have made another plate this time experimenting with how long the etched lines are placed in the acid taking the plate out of the acid at different intervals in theory so that the lines placed in the acid for the longest time are the darkest. The photos below show the plate at different stages of the biting process.



I have tried adding colour to this print by inking up the plate and then rolling a flat colour with a paper stencil over the top. This print I feel is interesting and I feel there is more experiments I can do with paper stencils. the ink somehow makes the black ink richer which I like.

Also I am learning how to do lithography which is a different print method. I am going to build up the image in layers but I love the different type of marks you can create with this method as you can draw on the stone with different medias which each create different marks which is perfect for me as I like to draw using different medias in layers which is similar to this technique. I am really excited to add the next layers to these prints.


Comments