London exhibitions

On Tuesday I went to London to the Big Bang Data exhibition at Somerset House and then to the ICA to see Betty Woodman.
The Big Bang Data exhibition is about the ways artists and designers have used data in their work and gets you thinking about the amount of data produced nowadays. I really enjoyed the exhibition one particular piece that stood out for me is a collection of postcards called Dear Data by artists Giorgia Lupi and Stefanie Posavec . Each postcard had a image on one side showing data collected by the artists in their lives the instructions of how they created and how to read the data was given on the back of the postcard.A lot of the pieces in the exhibition used high tech exquipment however this piece really concentrated on the analogue visualizations. This piece got me thinking of how I could show facts and satistics on my cups for the 3D projet where I am looking at migration.
The Betty Woodman exhibition was really interesting to see, the ceramic pieces she creates are really vivid and expressive Woodman makes large vessels which were presented on the floor which meant you walled in between the pieces and saw the pieces in domestic- real way. Another strand of Woodmans works which I found particularly interesting is the "wall paper" pieces which were made out of the left over ceramic pieces which were not used in the vessel, seeing these pieces which were kind of collages created in a similar way you would use paper drawing,has really got me thinking how I can use clay. I am interested in using clay as drawing media rather than just using the clay as a building material I am really excited to do more slab work and drawing into it.


Comments