Project Train Ticket

For  the 3D part of the course we each all have to undertake a socially engaged project, for this I wanted to carry on with my theme of migration. After much deliberation of how I was going to do this I came up with the idea of project train ticket.
I decided to make train tickets out of ceramics with decals on them(the same technique as I used with the cups).
I wanted the tickets to look realistic and like a actual ticket, but have a made feel to them which I created by adding the orange strips with under glazes before I clear glazed the tickets.
I used Photoshop to edit a real ticket which took a long time as I haven't used Photoshop a lot before so it took a lot of playing to get the tickets right.
On the back of the ticket I wrote a small paragraph with instructions for the ticket. The idea was to have each ticket having a different destination, to give them out in bath and hope that the people would pass them on  until the ticket reaches its set destination.
To be able to track the tickets location I made a website and put a Instagram link on the back so people could take photos or write updates on the tickets journey.
However I had some complications in the making of these tickets:
Firstly the colour is not what I had wanted the glaze put a creamy yellow tint onto the tickets rather than the clean white desired.
I underestimated the shrinkage of the clay so the decals had to be made slightly smaller to fit.
And because the tickets were suppose to have decals on both sides I decided to put them both on in one firing, in the process however some of the decals moved and now the instructions on the back are unreadable which puts a spanner in the works to the hole project.
I have learnt so much by doing this, and still think it is a really interesting idea so would like to remake the tickets but this time cutting them larger at the beginning perhaps and using white st Thomas clay rather than the stoneware I uses this time, and use different transparent glaze to avoid a cream colour. And by firing the decals on the front and back separately, in order to get the tickets how I want.


Comments