Raku... :)

Normally when firing ceramics the kilns raise the temperature at a slow and steady rate and take time to cool after, however the raku processes is completely different raising the temperature quickly and then cooling rapidly.
Because of this distressing process the clay we used has grounded ceramics in it and the clay had to be rolled to a equal thickness to avoid cracks emerging.
We made slab built vessels, and added texture by pressing in object while the clay was at its green stage. The vessels were then bisque fired and then were ready for glazing.

The options we had was white and turquoise glaze however if the turquoise glaze oxidises it turns a copper colour. The spaces without glaze turn matt black when fired. So even thought we only had two glazes there were so many options on how to glaze; which parts to wax resist, and how to apply the glaze- spray,dip or brush.
We glazed one vessel so we could evaluate the glazing before doing the other.

To raku firer we loaded the kiln and let the temperatures raise to around 1000°c and then took the ceramics out sprayed them with water and put them into a box filled with sawdust, this is when the glazes changescolours.

The vessels are left in the sawdust and after a while taken out and plunged into cold water, cooling the vessels and revealing the colours.
My vessels were sprayed which I really liked as there wasn't a harsh line between colours.
On my first vessel not all the turquoise glaze oxidized leaving some parts shown on the image on the right. I wanted this to happen on my second vessel but unfortunately this didn't happen showing who temperamental this technique is, this is partly what attracts me to this technique.





As well as the vessels I also made ceramic sticks by extruding stoneware clay, because of the evenness of the clay these were okay to raku, I didn't quite know how these would turn out, my plan was to put them in weaving for the amulet project. The results I am so happy with, I love the variety of colours and effects you can create with this technique. I have enough sticks so will experiment with displaying them I do not want to over complicate them as these are precious items I don't want to overpower them with bright colours I normally use.






Comments